The first Presbyterian Manors of Mid-America community in Missouri, Farmington Presbyterian Manor came about through the efforts of the Presbyterian Synods of Missouri and was originally called Presbyterian Homelife. The project was spearheaded by Dr. Fred Walker, superintendent of the Presbyterian Home for Children, with support from Grafton Lothrop, chairman of the executive committee of the Children’s Home, and the Rev. Edwin Short, chairman of the committee on schools and homes for the Presbyterian Church.
A board of trustees was formed in May 1958, with Mr. Lothrop installed as its first president.
Ground-breaking for Presbyterian Homelife was held Nov. 19, 1960, with members of the board joined by local community leaders including Glenwood Lees and Taylor Smith. By June 1961 as construction continued, residents were being accepted. The first two, Laura Waters of Farmington and Mrs. B.C. Hardesty of St. Louis, lived temporarily in the Presbyterian Children’s Home until construction could be completed. The first employee was Edith Wilber.
Farmington Presbyterian Manor officially opened in 1962. As demand soon outpaced available space, health care rooms were added in 1965, and in November 1967, several private homes were purchased to accommodate the community’s 75 residents. In 1974, more health care accommodations were added.
Over the years, the community continued to grow and modernize, responding to an increasing demand for high-quality senior living alternatives. In 1996, Farmington Presbyterian Manor added a 90-bed skilled nursing center including a secure, 20-bed memory care wing specializing in care for those living with Alzheimer’s and dementia.